The School Canteen is located next to the school hall
Welcome to Oishii Canteen - your delicious canteen
Oishii Canteen operates 5 days a week. Ari and Clair, our two Managers have experience in hospitality, nutrition, working with children and a passion for great healthy food, Oishii canteen is a warm and welcoming place where you can connect with other school parents and carers who volunteer. Oishii canteen’s management is supported by a sub-committee of the Ainslie School P&C Association. Contact the Oishii Canteen via phone on: 61423070, or email email@example.com for any enquiries.
- Oishii canteen is staffed each day by a Manager who is supported by an enthusiastic team of volunteers. New volunteers are always welcome. Oishii canteen can’t open 5 days a week without volunteers - please come and help when you can. You are always welcome!
- Every term we ask each year group to donate nonperishable food items. This maintains our 5 days of operation and is an option for parents who can't volunteer.
- If you want to you can set up a Family Account to pay for your child’s lunch orders or any purchases your child makes from Oishii canteen. See the Family Account form below.Please read through our latest Menu. Our Family Account form and Autumn/winter menu 2016 and donation wish list can be downloaded below
How to order lunch
Lunch orders can be dropped into Oishii Canteen before 9.30am or your child can put it in their classroom lunch order box in the morning. Clearly write details of your child's order on a plain paper bag:
- Money. Please indicate clearly if you have a family account
- If you don't have a bag, don't worry – write your order on a piece of paper or envelope and for 10c we will provide a bag.
How to order birthday muffins/food platter or fruit/jelly cups
We cater for those important days like birthdays! Call us on 6142 3070 or drop in to discuss what cupcake options your birthday boy or girl needs. We deliver to the classroom. No cooking or washing up for you! We can also provide other celebratory food options- fruit platter, dips & crackers, fruit cups and jelly. Please give staff 3 days’ notice and pay at the time of ordering.
How to pay
Most students pay with cash in their lunch order bag. Please try and include the correct amount if possible. If you don't have the correct change it will be placed in the lunch order bag and given back to your child.
VOLUNTEERS are always welcome!
- Oishii canteen can’t run without volunteers! We always need help on any day or time throughout the school week. The Manager will support you whilst you help and will always make you welcome. The students LOVE to see their parents/carers and/or grandparents helping. New faces, ideas and suggestions are always welcome. Volunteers can drop in on a casual basis or commit to something more regular. Any time you have is greatly appreciated. If you want to know more about volunteering, please drop in to say hi. We have a volunteers welcome information pack you can collect, take home to read and fill in our contact form.
Here are a few things that you may like to know about our great, healthy food service...
- Some families have a family account. This saves family time in the morning and allows students to have some flexibility around what day they order. The family accounts are run like any other account- we like you to keep in credit. Once your account is getting to the end, you can always top it up.
- Year 6 students assist at both recess and lunchtimes. This gives them the chance to build skills in: customer service, food handling and hygiene, maths, communication, teamwork and most importantly, how to wash up!
- We are one of only a few green school canteens in the ACT. In 2014 we were one of 7 school canteens who met the green food guidelines set by Nutrition Australia. This means that the food we have available is fresh, healthy and made on site. We do not sell Junk Food.
- We are an award winning school canteen. This means that we not only deliver great, healthy food, but we also promote health issues, highlight health events and provide information on ways to keep kids healthy, active and loving great food.
- If you are popping into the Friday school assembly, you can always ask about the daily special. This is a great way to see the assembly, and grab some lunch on your way back to work etc.
- We encourage families who have a bumper crop in their home garden to donate any excess to Oishii canteen. We can make yummy things out of just about anything.
- We love making jars of preserves and jam. This we sell as an ongoing fundraiser for the canteen. So if you have a plum tree or too many apricots or figs, bring them in and we will put them to great use.
- We help with the school vegie garden and all of our kitchen scraps go to the compost, worm farm or chooks.
- The school garden provides us with fresh herbs and vegetables each day. We especially love the summer months when everything is going wild in the garden.
- If you have a student with a food allergy or food sensitivities, please come and talk to us about their needs. Some families keep a stash of cupcakes in the freezer for when there is a birthday happening in the classroom - no one needs to miss out.
- If you have particular cultural needs and want to know what we cook with or want to clarify what products we use, drop in to chat with us. We would love to hear your ideas too.